Monthly Archives: October 2012

Unit 9: Cataloging

This week’s blog discussion is about cataloging. I admit, cataloging is not something that I find incredibly appealing. As I mentioned in this week’s discussion, there are a lot of issues inherent to judging, placing, and describing anything, as well as deciding where it fits in a larger collection, and it’s very hard for the person creating a single record to have enough perspective to make it fit into the big picture, or be the right choice in hindsight. For example, early on in this class, we read Clay Shirky’s famous essay, Ontology is Overrated. It discussed the perils of classification, and gave an example of the religious bias inherent in the Dewey’s system, in which Christianity dominates nearly the entire section, leaving a few meager subheadings for “Other religions”:

Dewey, 200: Religion

210 Natural theology
220 Bible
230 Christian theology
240 Christian moral & devotional theology
250 Christian orders & local church
260 Christian social theology
270 Christian church history
280 Christian sects & denominations
290 Other religions

Another example that a coworker gave me was of a colleague who looked up “interrracial” in the LCSH and was disturbed to find out which sections were next to it: incest and insanity.

So, bringing this post back to my collection, I have felt quite tentative and experimental in my categorization of my small collection. After trying LC for this week’s EPrints assignment, I rather wish I’d picked out LCSH terms all along, instead of using rather vague DC. On the other hand, outside the library world, LC is less meaningful, so perhaps from an interoperability standpoint, DC is better, it’s just a question of more complete and more accurate DC metadata?

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Unit 8: EPrints, To Be Continued…

So this post is for the first week of our two-week EPrints assignment. The install was very simple, since all we had to do was add a few lines to our Ubuntu server’s repo list after we got a new VM up and running. My only hangup was that I accidentally typed “y” instead of “Yes” at one point during the installation, as the instructions specifically said not to do (oops). I wasn’t sure if that was a big deal or not, so since it was so easy, I just started over and everything was successful the second go-round.

As far as customization, I put a silly custom logo up and changed the blurb to describe my project. Good thing I  had my classmates’ blogs to see where I was going wrong with the site logo thing (it was a .png and not a .gif, and there was a little typo in the instructions that had to be corrected). But otherwise, smooth sailing so far, and I’m looking forward to getting my little collection started!

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Unit 7: Wrapping up with DSpace

Since this week’s blog assignment is open-ended, I decided to look into something I was curious about: how DSpace’s Manakin themes compare to Drupal’s themes.

Here’s an example of some very attractive DSpace themes utilizing the xmlui interface: http://staff.lib.muohio.edu/~tzocea/files/dspace/

However, unlike with Drupal, there seems to be much more of a “roll your own” emphasis on this from the web developer’s perspective. Yes, there are some themes on GitHub and some how-tos that one can Google, but there isn’t that same plug-and-play experience you get with Drupal, where someone can change the theme without really getting into any of that back-end stuff.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized